Home Lifestyle Most Parents Don’t Know This Can Happen To Their Kids That Use...

Most Parents Don’t Know This Can Happen To Their Kids That Use Hand Sanitizer


Hand sanitizers are a perfect way to keep children’s hands clean, especially with all the germs they come into contact with at school. You’d think if hospitals used it, then it would be safe right?

Doctors are warning parents that children are accidentally ingesting it and getting drunk.

6-year-old Nhaijah Russell recently swallowed strawberry scented hand sanitizer at school…Later, the little girl began to slur her words and lose her balance so she was rushed to the emergency room.

Hand sanitizer contains a lot of of alcohol and when ingested could potentially result in alcohol poisoning.


At hospital Russell’s blood alcohol content was measured at a dangerously high level of 179. Luckily, she made it out ok.

According to Dr. Gaylord Lopez of the Georgia Poison Center, “Kids are getting into these products more frequently, and unfortunately, there’s a percentage of them going to the emergency room.”

According to the Poison Control Center, America alone have seen a 400% increase in emergency calls resulting from children under 12 swallowing hand sanitizer since 2010.

To put this into perspective: wine contains 12% alcohol, beer contains around 5% and hand sanitizer contains 45-95% – small children are totally oblivious to the dangers.