Soldier Shocked After Waking Up With Severe Spider Bite (Photos)


A soldier was disturbed when he woke up one morning with a severe false widow spider bite on his leg. (Warning: The photos below are graphic.)

Matt Clarke said he woke up with a “tingly sensation” on his leg and quickly realized that he’d been bitten by a spider. The bite didn’t bother him at first, but things started to get bad a few days later.

“I just felt this dripping down my leg and it was a painful type of burning sensation,” Clarke told Metro. “I then checked it out and the bite area had burst open — it was a hole I could see my muscles through. I couldn’t understand why the bite wasn’t healing so I tried to find answers. I researched spiders and my symptoms, and I [realized] I had been bitten by a false black widow.”

A doctor later told Clarke the bite was “toxic” and that it needed to be consistently monitored.

“I’ve been in the Army for 10 years, I’ve been all over the world and slept next to more dangerous spiders and never got bit. But I got bit in my own bed,” he said.

The British soldier was lucky the false widow bite isn’t lethal, but the bite is similar to that of the lethal black widow.

Many readers shared their own stories of spider bites and the pain they endured as a result.

“I got my spider bite in a restaurant on Houston’s shop channel,” one Mad World News reader commented on the site’s Facebook page. “Bite me 2x’s, I thot my leg was gonna rot off. Nothing drs. Did worked at first. Finally was put on antibiotics and cream call Ascend……you can’t even tell there was a bite. Both spots looked like raw meat. It’s awful. Hope you’re better soon.”

“My husband was bitten by a brown recluse spider and was hospitalized for six days and they used all the different antibiotics that they could use on him and if the last one of the antibiotics didn’t work he would die they told me,” another wrote. “Luckly the last one worked thank heavens.”

“My son got bite on the butt an the Drs said it was a brown recluse,” commented another. “They did surgery an made a hole 1 1/2 inches wide an 4 inches deep to get all the stuff out. It worked I guess he hasn’t had any more trouble. But took a long time healing. I’m so sorry this has happened to you. I wish you the best.”

Sources: MetroMad World News/Facebook / Featured Image: Bernard DUPONT/Wikimedia Commons / Embedded Images: Metro


We’d love to hear your views on this…