You likely use lemons sparingly. Maybe you squeeze a quarter into your water or use the juice to season chicken. If this is the only citrus action in your life, you are seriously missing out. According to Organic Facts, lemon is remarkably salubrious. The yellow fruit contains vitamins C, B6, A and E, as well as copper, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc and phosphorus.
Continue reading to learn the many (some unexpected!) ways to get more lemon in your life.
1. Clear the air. Next time you see not-quite-ripe green lemons at the market, grab them! Slice a lemon into four pieces, and place the fruit on a plate. Surround the citrus in a circle of salt, and place the plate under or next to your bed stand. According to Healthy Magazine 365, doing so will clear your bedroom of any negative energy. The citrus absorbs the negative energy, so it is crucial to toss the lemons immediately the next morning.
2. Increase focus. Aromatherapy is a powerful tool. According to Celestine Vision, smelling lemon essential oil can have an energizing and uplifting effect. It can also increase concentration and make you more alert. To be more productive, try diffusing lemon essential oil in your workplace, or even take a whiff of a freshly cut lemon.
3. Brighten nails. Few things are worse than weak, brittle nails. Unfortunately, exposure to chemicals and the elements can corrode and discolor nails. This is why Livestrong recommends applying homemade nail strengthener made from 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon to the nail bed and underside of each nail.
4. Lower blood pressure. It could be as easy as drinking lemon water three to four times daily. Homeopathic practitioner John Summerly of True Activist says the most effective method is to drink lemon juice with warm water on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
5. Fight throat infections. Gargling lemon water can have soothing effects on throat infections, similar to salt water gargles, reports Summerly. This is because lemon juice is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
6. Eliminate dandruff. Is your dandruff bad enough that you avoid black clothing? Summerly has a solution for you! Massage a couple of tablespoons into your scalp during your next shower before rinsing with water.
7. Soften calluses. Mix lemon juice with baking soda and rub the solution into calluses and rough spots on the elbows and knees. Rinse the skin with equal parts water and lemon juice. Finish your at-home treatment by gently massaging olive oil into your skin. This home remedy, as suggested by Summerly, will make you feel like a goddess.
8. Disinfect cuts. This one might sting, but Summerly promises the effects are worth the burn! Protect a minor cut or scrape against infection by holding a cotton ball dipped in lemon juice over the wound for one minute.
Convinced? SHARE this article on social media!