The private school is located in upper St Andrew and boasts, among its population, the children of many prominent Jamaicans.
With small class sizes and top-tier teachers, Hillel is committed to excellence and over the last nearly-five decades has consistently produced high achieving Jamaicans.
Against this background, most Hillel alumni have very fond memories of their student days at the institution.
This list won’t apply to every former Hillel Academy student throughout the school’s history. But, if you graduated in the last 15 years (or more), you’re likely to identify with at least a few things on the list!
Here are some things you’d only know if you attended Hillel Academy:
1. Friday is the only day of the week where you finish school at 2:20 pm compared to 3:15 on the other days of the week.
2. If you want to get let out of class early or have less homework than everyone else, choose Business and Economicswhich is taught by Lenworth Johnson.
3. If you want your Lunch quickly, you ask for Rochelle or Pet.
4. When you go to the Library, make sure you say Good Morning/Good Afternoon to Librarian Ms Precious Blair or you will be labelled as having no manners.
5. There are only three ways to reach Hillel as a student: A family member takes you to school, your driver takes you to school or you drive to school. There is no bus system that takes you to 51 Upper Mark Way.
6. On Sports Day, the Tug-O-War is considered a “Race” and not a novelty event.
7. In the 3K road race, if you finish in the 100’s or 200’s, prepare to be laughed at.
8. Speaking English in Madame Lorna Igbe’s French class is not allowed.
9. Taking your cellphone out during class time will mean you wont get back your phone until the end of the term.
10. On days that there is a Bake Sale, the only thing you can get from the Canteen is fried chicken and patties.
11. You are actually taught you are in the top 10 percent of high school students in Jamaica.
12. Whenever there was a Jewish Holiday such as Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashanah, it would mean you would not have school either, while all other schools in Jamaica would be in school.
13. The American International School of Kingston is Hillel’s biggest rivals and when we meet in any sport, it is called “The Uptown Derby”.
14. If you are more than five minutes late for class, a detention is coming your way.
15. If you do not reserve your lunch from in the morning, then you will be in a long line for Lunch.
16. For men, if the hair on your head from your scalp was over 2-3 inches then you would be asked to leave school and sent to the Barber.
17. Damion “Junior Gong” Marley, Sean Paul, Former U-17 Reggae Boy Justin McMasters and Omar Azan are just a few of the many popular personalities who attended Hillel Academy.